Calendar : Game of Goals: Sustainable Tourism Development in the Baltic Sea Region
On 15-22 March 2021, the first Game of Goals International Championship was held. The Championship took place online.
Organizers: Council of the Baltic Sea States, ICSER Leontief Centre, Green Mobility International Partnership Initiative, Ministry of the Economy and Innovation of the Republic of Lithuania, Klaipeda University (Lithuania), Foundation “Science and Innovation Park” (Latvia).
For one week, online teams from Lithuania, Latvia and Russia have been competing to be the best through developing innovative project ideas aimed to develop sustainable tourism and achieve the SDGs.
The International Championship was attended by leading Russian and international experts:
• Daria Akhutina, Senior Adviser, Permanent International Secretariat of the Council of the Baltic Sea States
• Elena Belova, Secretary General, ICSER Leontief Centre
• Diana Saparniene, Klaipeda University
• Arina Loginova, Manager, SDSN Youth Russia
• Olga Iakimenko, ICSER Leontief Centre, Green Mobility International Partnership Initiative Coordinator, Game of Goals Business Game Coordinator
Each team was assisted by highly professional experts and mentors from Russia, Latvia and Lithuania, who were sharing their professional experience and assessing the participant’ ideas.
As a result of the #GameofGoals game format, participating teams, guided by experienced mentors, have developed four unique projects aimed to achieve the SDGs:
• Save Clean and Sustain — the Baltic Sea coastal plastic cleanup and creating unique waste containers as art installations (Lithuania)
• Sustainability starts here — Creating regional center for sustainable tourism (Russia, Ecological)
• Liepaja Lake Rejuvenation — Liepaja river basin and adjacent territory rejuvenation program (Latvia, LLR)
• Under the Green Dome (RU) — Creating eco-glamping network (Russia, EcoGlam)
On March 22, the first Game of Goals International Championship final was held. Olga Zuin, Programme Coordinator for Baltic 2030, Permanent International Secretariat of the Council of the Baltic Sea States, and Ugis Zanders, Project Officer, Permanent International Secretariat of the Council of the Baltic Sea States, joined the final stage of voting as independent experts. According to the open vote results, the first place was shared by the teams from Lithuania (Lithuania) and Russia (EcoGlam). Both teams gained an equal number of points and became the first winners of the Game of Goals International Championship.